Friday, March 9, 2012

Neighborhood Sale May '11

There is an awesome neighborhood garage sale where I live that happens in May and then another at the end of the summer. I thought I'd share with you our biggest ONE day haul ever!! It took two carloads to get everything home. By we, I mean my mom too. I usually take my mom or my grandma with me so I have an extra hand with my daughter. They love thrifting as much as I do. But, Giovanna should be easier to manage this summer- so I'll probably be able to go it alone when I need to. Put on a video in the car.... and direct her to the toys at the sale we are at (90% of them have toys.) Last year she wasn't walking yet- so it was kind of difficult.

Anyways- We got so much stuff that we had to set it all out for a picture.... Let's just say Giovanna does not lack anything... :)


We only paid $110 for all of this. Or that's what we estimated when we added things up. I'll try to list whats here- some of it you can't see well.

-Rock and ride bike
-Baby gate
-Eddie Bauer high chair (behind the baby gate box, it's hiding kind of)
-Plastic chairs
-Dragon Halloween costume
-Veggie Tales DVDs
-Giant Legos
-Baby clothes
-Toy ambulance (My husband and I are both Paramedics)
-The two raccoon stuffed animals... Ricky and Rocky. (There is a good story to their names)
-Box toy play thing.... It's in the front.... no idea what it's really called, lol.
-Little Tykes car
-Potty chair
-Baby shoes
-Wooden puzzle
-Coffee maker
-Baby Bibs
-McLaren baby stroller
-More DVDs
-Play kitchen
-Swim suit
-Plastic animals
-Pink chair
-Hello Kitty pillow doll

That's everything I can see at least... worth $110? Absolutely- probably more than quadruple. People don't know what they are missing.  My husband likes that I save a lot of money this way, but he is NOT into it. Which is fine, but sometimes I like his opinion on stuff before I buy it.  I guess it's a catch 22 though.... because when he is back from Afghanistan for good I will have someone to babysit so I can go to sales/thrifting without dragging any kids with me. :)

My best advice for someone who wants to start hitting the sales in the summer? Planning. Sales start as early as Thursday in the summer. I usually check Craigslist and the newspaper on-line at the beginning of the week and usually once a night to see if anything is added. I will then choose which sales I think will be the best for me and map my route in town. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you bomb. But the total end result will be a lot of money saved.

Well- Wheel of Fortune is on so I must leave you! Enjoy the weekend!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

Covnitkepr1 said...

I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

my thrifty closet said...

wow///so value for money...you got a fabulous deal and a wonderful purchases! Hurray to second hand stuff. You really save a lot! And cut down on land fills.

mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com